Do you want to start learning yoga? not sure about which form of yoga is best suitable for you? you must read this article.
Yoga is considered to be the best exercise as it helps to maintain equilibrium between the body and the mind. Yoga soothes the mind and relaxes the body making it more flexible, fit and healthy. But the biggest challenge is; there are multiple discipline in yoga has emerged in recent time and when we talk about practicing, you really need to choose the one that best suited your body type and can give maximum benefits.
Here we have tried giving brief about different types of yoga poses are being practiced. You can consult experienced yoga teacher to start with the one depending upon their guidance.
Standing Yoga Pose
Standing yoga poses are mostly performed by standing in different position and includes easy to do poses for yoga beginners.
- Standing poses often helps in stretching and relaxing the body. Standing poses are mainly done for the warm up sessions, i.e. at the beginning of the yoga and before performing some yoga exercises.
- Mainly it’s done in the starting where one is yet to perform the yoga activities. Standing pose as the name suggests refers to as standing keeping the body erect and mind constant. Generally the standing poses involve stretching of the arms, legs, neck, back and shoulders to feel more flexible and free.
- The reason behind doing the standing poses is that it expands the body parts and organs making them bendable enough to undergo the yoga postures.
- The standing poses enable a person to stand in an erect and straight position, maintaining the organs of his body and firmness of his mind. One has to focus on one’s breathing activities and standing position as it helps to create a good balance and dedication in the mind and body.
Seated yoga poses
- Seated yoga poses too are mainly performed in the beginning of the yoga as a warm up activity. The person performing the yoga is expected to sit with the folded legs and arms stretched and placed on the knees. Then with the counting method, the person performs the breathing exercise.
- It mainly refers to as inhaling and exhaling of air through the nose slowly and steadily. This is known as breath-in and breath-out respectively. One could say the word, ‘OM’ while performing the breathing exercise as it is believed to calm and relax the person’s mind. Breathing exercise purifies the internal organs and helps to keep the mind fresh and energetic. Seating poses also include stretching of the upper body that includes the arms, shoulders, abdomen and torso as well as the hips and the thighs.
Inversion yoga includes the poses in which your heart is higher than the head from the ground. Headstand yoga pose is the best example of Inversions poses and require expert’s guidance while you perform the same.
- This is considered to be the best exercise for the lower body that includes the knees, thighs, hips and the waistline too. A person is supposed to lie down on the floor and perform this posture. Hence, here the person should lie down on his back with his face and neck held tight and straight and then lifts his leg and keep them in the upwards position. The legs should be kept upright and stiff without moving them for around 10 minutes.
- This helps in the blood circulation in different organs of the body. The legs are kept straight that helps in rebuilding the bones strong and active and keep a good balance between the upper body and the lower body.
- The above yoga posture should be performed on a yoga mat or a pillow so that the person doesn’t end up hurting his back or neck.
- Also the legs while taking upwards in the beginning and downwards after a while should be done very slowly and gradually to avoid any kind of strain on the legs or other parts of the body. Thus the inversions should be done with a lot of care and patience.
Core yoga poses
- Core is done in the sitting position. The person has to sit in the upright direction holding his back and shoulders straight. Then, he is supposed to raise his arms in the air first and stretch them as long as he can without changing the position of his torso. After raising his arms, the person should raise his legs. The legs should be held upwards with the knees in the still position. Both the hands and the legs should be held straight in the upwards position for a considerable time. This can be done with the counting also.
- Core is considered to be the best exercise for hands and legs to maintain the stability of body and make it more flexible and elastic. Hence, this yoga pose should be performed at regular intervals of time to keep the body and mind fit and firm. Core is not easy to perform but vigorous and continuous practice would definitely help to master the skill of exercise.
- This refers to as bending forward as the name suggests. The person is supposed to lie down on the floor first and gradually bend his head towards the legs. The head should be placed close to the legs and thereby touch the legs if possible. The back however should be held straight keeping the spinal cord intact and only bend a little so that the head is able to touch the legs. It would pain initially and you might not be successful in making the head and legs meet, but gradually with the time and practice, one can surely complete the yoga exercise perfectly without any flaws.
- Forward bends is an exercise basically for the back and the spinal cord making it agile and tough. Also it’s considered to be a best form of exercise for people having back-related problems and slip disk. Forward bends help to calm the mind and body and relieve the tensions getting rid of nervous breakdown and mental traumas experienced by a person. Forward bends are difficult to do in the initial stages as it requires a lot of stretching of back and legs, and so care should be taken while doing it or one might hurt oneself.
- Here too, first the person should lie down on the floor. The steadily lift the body up without lifting the body. Thus, the upper body will rise up while the legs are still settled on the floor. One could raise the body with the use of the hips and back. Also, the body should be rested above, away from the ground for some time and observe how much one can stay above the ground with the back held upwards and the legs on the floor. Later, one should also try to touch one’s feet with hands which is a little tough but can be done after regular training of poses.
- Basically the back bends are about the legs and the back and how one should maintain the balance between them and the whole body. Back bends help to keep the body erect, most importantly the back and the spinal cord. Back bends is a good chest exercise too as it pushes the chest upwards, thereby improving the shape of the body and making the muscles strong.
- This is the last step in yoga. This is also known as the relaxing stage where the person could attain the ultimate calmness and relaxation. The person is supposed to lie down flat on the floor keeping the body loose and comfortable. Then, he is supposed to stretch his arms on either side of his body. This would make his body relax and composed.
- The restorative pose is performed in the end, after all the poses are performed in yoga. This pose is mainly done so that the person feels complete and stress-free after the yoga session. The body also becomes stiff while performing the complex yoga steps. Thus, the restorative pose helps to release all the tensions and worries and tries to keep the mind functioning smooth and body working appropriately. The energy gained in other poses is released in the restorative pose keeping the body free from stiffness and enhancing the free movement of the organs of body.
Yoga practices includes thousands of poses and all has its own importance. Here we strongly recommend you consult with experience yoga teacher who will understand your body type and will create custom program by considering your health condition and body.