Men’s health is a topic that is usually not much discussed. But many fitness programs for men are especially available these days. Yoga for men tops the list of available fitness programs for men. Yoga for fitness has its significance since ancient times. Despite the fact men brought Yoga into practice, so far, male Yoga hasn’t gained much attention. Yoga plays a vital role in men’s mental health as well. It is an ideal exercise altogether for the mind and body. Regular yoga improves body posture of stand up, sitting, or walking positions. Each asana has its own specific advantages to the body. To say, practicing Pranayam reduces dizziness, stress, and fatigue. In total Yoga gives a healthy body with a peaceful mind. This write-up in the first part will talk about various Yoga asanas for men and in the later part a few benefits of Yoga are discussed,
Best Yoga for Men
Here are some of the best Yoga asanas that would solve many men’s health issues.
Bow Yoga Pose (Dhanurasana)
It is a chest opening asana. In this asana, the front part of the body gets stretched. It also has a good impact on the spine. Especially for the men who have to sit at one place for hours, this asana relieves them from back pain.
Steps for Dhanurasana
- Lie on the abdomen.
- Keep your feet together, forehead on the ground, hands on the side of the body, and relax.
- Bring your chin forward.
- Bend your legs and catch the ankle.
- Stretch the toes towards yourself.
- Now lift yourself from chin then from chest and knees together.
- Keep breathing and hold the position for a few breaths.
- Release your legs, turn your face on one side and relax.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
It is a backward bench chest opening asana. It relieves fatigue and tiredness. It helps in strengthening the spine, core, and abdomen muscles.
- Lie on the abdomen.
- Keep your feet together, hands on the side of the body, and forehead on the ground.
- Bring your chin forward and both the hands on the side of your chest.
- Stretch your legs so that the pelvic region can come down on the floor.
- Lift your chin and chest with the least weight on your palms.
- Hold the position for few seconds.
- Come down and release the posture.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
It is also known as Setu Bandha Sarvangasana. It stretches hip flexors and makes them stronger. The tremendous benefits of this asana include stretch in your neck, chest, and back area. It relieves strain and relaxes the brain.
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees to the extent your heels and knees are in one line.
- Keep a hip-width distance between the two knees.
- Keep hands by the side of your body and roll the shoulders.
- Tightening the buttock lift your lower back, middle back, and then upper back.
- Feel the stretch in your thighs.
- Hold this position for a few breaths.
- While breathing, let your chest open up, and the abdomen comes out.
- While breathing out, let your abdomen fall, and the chest collapse.
- Come back to the normal position in the same way first upper back, middle back, and then lower back.
- Spread your legs and relax.
Crescent Lunge Pose (Anjaneyasana)
This gives a very good posture for athletes. It helps in strengthening arms and legs. It also improves blood circulation and maintains energy levels.
- Stand straight.
- Take your right leg and step forward. It must not be too near nor too far.
- Step your leg forward in a comfortable position.
- Keep the knee of the left leg on the floor with the feet straight.
- Inhale and lift your left knee.
- Straighten your back leg.
- Lift your arms upwards and give a backward extension.
- Remember to keep your pelvis neutral and tall yourself.
- Stay in the posture for few breaths and feel the stretch.
- Release your hand and take your foot back to normal position.
- Repeat the same with the opposite leg.
Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Savansana)
Adho Mukha Svanasana is a standing forward bend strengthening asana. It stretches the hamstrings, calves, and thighs. This asana allows you to calm down the brain, release stress, and cure mild depression. It also strengthens the arms and legs.
- Come on your force and take a tabletop pose
- Keep the hip and knee in one line and shoulder and wrist in one line.
- Tuck the toes in.
- Lift the knees upwards but don’t straighten the legs and keep the heels high.
- Lift your sitting bones upwards.
- Draw the upper thigh behind, and then press the hamstrings down.
- Now feel the shoulder blades getting closer to the back and widen them and draw them towards the tail bone.
- Keep breathing and be in the pose for a while.
- As you exhale, come downwards flatten the feet and relax.
Upward Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva Mukha Shvanasana)
This is a backward bend chest opening asana. It strengthens the wrist, arms, and shoulders. While holding this posture you can feel a good stretch in the chest and lungs.
- Lie down on the abdomen.
- Lengthen your legs; the pelvis should touch the floor.
- Bring your hands near the chest.
- Your upper arms should be perpendicular.
- Use your hands and lift upwards to the level your shoulder and wrist come in a straight line.
- Open your shoulders.
- Hold the posture and breathe.
- Bring your hands, thighs, and pelvis down.
- Lie down and relax for a while.
Benefits of Yoga for Men
There are lots of benefits of yoga to men. Here, we are describing some major benefits of yoga for men.
A Healthy Diet for Men
Male Yoga produces a balancing effect on the mind and body. Healthy eating tends to become a habit in them.
Better posture boost confidence in men especially as they age.
Builds Muscles Evenly
Regular attempts at body-building might ignore some muscles group. Yoga is effective for general conditioning.
The controlled moves of Yoga enable all parts of the body to move that men don’t often use. As a result, muscles learn to cooperate more and gain flexibility.
Yoga practices improve respiratory and cardiovascular function, building muscle strength. The combined stamina with improved flexibility leads to better workouts.
Yoga improves men’s health comprising both physical and mental. Better blood circulation and a healthy diet reduce stress and fatigue.
Yoga lowers the level of cortisol. It is the stress hormone that prompts your body to collect belly fat.
Yoga Can Ease Chronic Low Back Pain
If you work at a desk job, sitting all-day at one place lower back pain is quite common. Yoga alleviates this lower back and other chronic pain
When practiced regularly male Yoga can change your perspective towards a better living. Adopt Yoga in your routine and observe the positive change in you. We bet, a happier and healthier part of you is surely going to turn out to be. And, please just don’t avoid practicing Yoga thinking it has no benefits for you. Yoga practice follows the rule of “slow and steady wins the race”.