Tadasana is one of the basic yoga pose that is also known at Mountain pose in western countries. You can find different variations in Tadasana (mountain pose) in different discipline of yoga. Here are three aspects that one should consider while practicing this pose:
- Dhrishti – It is recommended in Ashtanga Vinasya Yoga that drishti in Tadasana should be “Nasagra Drishti“; means eyes should be at the tip of the nose
- Bandhas – Mula bandh, Uddiyana bandh and Jalandhara bandh are recommended body lock (here I assume that you know what is Badha in yoga) for this asana.
- Variations – As I said earlier, you can find different variations in Tadasana. You follow your yoga teacher’s instructions.
Introduction to Mountain Pose
Yoga plays an important role in person’s health and fitness. It also improves the physical and mental situation of one’s life. It is proven fact that the person regularly practicing yoga improves his confidence level as well as remains happy too. Tadasana (Mountain pose) is one of the basic yoga postures and considered as first step of yoga journey. Tadasana is very easy yoga posture and can easily practice by anyone. This asan is the part of all that asanas which are done in standing position.
Tadasana is made of two meaningful words in Sanskrit language those are “tada” and “asana”.
The word “tada” means Mountain and “asana” means pose. So, we can say that tadasana means mountain pose. Tadasana is pronounced as (tah-DAHS-anna) which is also known as samasthiti. The word “sama” means straightened and “sthiti” means position.
Ho to practice Mountain pose (Tadasana)
As shown in Image, here are few basic steps to practice tadasana at any places without any additional yoga accessories.
- First stand in vertical position.
- Stand straight and keep your neck straight.
- Keep your arms at your sides.
- Keep your feet together.
- The heel and big toes should touch each other.
- Keep your knees tight and contract with hips and pull up the muscles at the back of thighs
- Keep your chest forward and stomach in.
- Then stretch your toes on the floor and breath steadily and rhythmically
- Don’t put your body weight in any one toes and distribute it evenly on the heel and the toes.
- Your ears, shoulder, hips and ankles should all in one line.
- Feel your spine elongating and keep your breathing smooth and normal.
- Hold the pose for a minute and keep practicing as per your convenience.
Mountain pose is important part of standing yoga pose family and can combine with other yoga poses to get better result. Here are some important benefits you can gain by practicing Tadasana on regular bases.
- It helps to heal back pain related issues and can reduce the back pain.
- With regular practice of this mountain pose you can sciatica.
- Smooth breathing help in reducing stress and our concentration power increase.
- Tadasana can help in steadies our mind and body.
- Mountain yoga pose strengthens the thighs, knees, ankles, abdomen and buttocks and can improve the alignment of our body.
It is very simple and basic yoga posture and can be practice at any place like elevator, cafeteria, office, and bathroom or at waiting room.
I would like to share this detailed outline about “Tadasana”. I am not sure about actual source of this image. You can find citation in image itself. In given infographic, you can learn:
- How to perform Tadasana (mountain yoga pose)
- Benefits of Tadasana
- Important tips for beginners, intermediate and experts
- Other important tips about Tadasana